Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Response of Class Discussion 9/16/08

I found today's agenda rewarding and useful! As each class goes by, I feel much more grounded and confident with my posts. There was a lot of good discussion today going back and forth. Several key topics were addressed that Andrejevic highlights throughout his book.

The issue of data mining and the concept of third party companies actually storing personal information about consumers still makes me a bit nervous. Like most of my class mates I do not have anything to hide, but would feel comfortable it I had the ability to obtain the records or at least view what is kept in the deep dark virtual memory banks. It should not even be a question of who has the right. It is controversial from the start for information to be collected in that manner and to be denied access is unacceptable. It is as if we are all being exploited for being private citizens that happen to live lives. For every bit of info collecting upon us, we should receive a cut back or royalty. As the expression, "time is money" is nothing new then our time is clearly being taken advantage of. Unfortunately the money hungry and technocraized society we live in does not allow room for that.

I eagerly await next classes discussion! Allowing us to teach each other will move complete responsibility and accountability upon our half.

No comments: