Friday, September 19, 2008
HWS Monitoring
As I was looking through "this week in photos" on the HWS site, I was rather surprised to see a photo of myself. The fact that I was not asked to pose or given any clue about the photos being taken makes me a bit uncomfortable. It is not worth getting worked up over the photos that were taken of people without their knowledge, but it made me reflect back upon the relating class discussion. When one enrolls into a private institution do you then automatically forfeit all of your rights and privacy? The sad truth is it almost appears so. Not just with photos, but much more. Consider the party and social scene here... As the drinks are being circulated and the noise level escalates on a Friday or Saturday night in the dorm room, the first concern is campus security. Then security knocks on the door, looks around and then either gives a warning or writes everyone up. This is actually the good scenario to get caught in because security does not have to make a courtesy knock at all. They have the ability to key themselves into any and every room if there is reasonable suspicion and cause. After all they are campus security and tasked with the job of protecting the students, right?? We are all considered adults or young adults and fork over quite a lot of tuition money, so should we be given more respect, rights, and freedoms??
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
It seems rather odd that they didn't ask your permission, because today a photographer took a ton of photos of the HWS Ultimate team playing a game on the quad for "this week in photos" and got everyone's signature. This is potentially an even scarier situation that these photographers are told to get releases, but no one cares to check if they don't.
Hi
I was wondering about Campus Security. I feel safe when campus security does stuff like that, if they come and check if people are not doing anything wrong. But that is because I know there are kept in check by the rest of HWS. But who is actually checking the government? Especially, who is checking the parts of government that are doing the illigal email reading?
By
Merel van Helden
I posted a long response in my blog, and I linked to yours.
BG,
Interesting post. You bring some great discussion points. I was going to raise the question about Campus Security and see what type of discussion came about.
I wonder why they did not ask your permission. I know they typically do. I think this would be a great discussion to have in class one day.
Sam
I am glad you are just as interested into Campus Security's agenda. Quite frankly... being at a private institution gives them all the right to do as they please. Yes this would provide for an excellent class discussion!
When I had my picture taken for fencing, I was asked. It strange that they didn't ask you.
"so should we be given more respect, rights, and freedoms??"
As for that part, on the surface yes. But who do you press charges against for having our fourth ammendment rights violated? Campus Security? Geneva Police?
Good questions... This would provide a good class discussion.
Post a Comment