Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Assignment 1

As a third year Hobart student the first day of Professor's Dean's class was quite different from what I have experienced before. Never have I been confronted with the scenario of having a class with no professor present and not receiving any prior knowledge of this. It is fair to say that this caught the entire class off guard creating a layer of chaos and confusion. As some of my fellow students address, anyone could have gotten up and left at any moment. Instead people decided to stick it out with their attention focused on the one student who took the initiative of loading the blog on the screen. If nobody had taken the initiative, then I feel it would have been likely to see people leaving.

This became a challenging task for the students to stay in the classroom despite the fact that there was no professor present. I imagine as we will discuss in Thursday's class, this scenario poses the question and value of "face to face" contact. How important is "face to face" contact? As we clearly noticed, having a figure head or someone in charge provides that extra cushion to remain comfortable. It is the organization and structure that 95% of Hobart students are bred to abide by from a young age that makes them feel comfortable and reduces the anxiety level. Yes the media and technology is constantly revolving around us with various forms of communication, but when it comes to education, nobody knows anything different then the "face to face" relationship.

If I were to use the corporate and business world as an example, think about all the personal face to face relationships that are developed and necessary for success. How do you expect to apply and interview for a financial institution if there is no actual face time? In today's world business is conducted on all sorts of levels including video conferences, but nothing can replace the physical interaction between two or more humans present.

It is possible for future generations to come that physical human interaction will be completely eradicated at some point. I do not foresee this happening any time soon though.

No comments: