Sunday, November 23, 2008

Can You Fall In Love With Someone Online?

I feel that this poll question requires further explanation beyond the four possible answers we can select. I find it hard to believe for two people to fall in love over the internet. It may depend on what your definition of love is, but online dating networks provide people the opportunity to show interest toward one another. Specifically the means of communication and learning a bit more about other people. However the complex issue of "love" does not take place within the digital realm of high speed fiberoptic cables that transmit messages faster than the speed of light. It rather occurs in face to face interaction. This reminds me of our very first class discussions about how people interact amongst each other. We addressed the face to face method compared to communicating behind a computer screen. I understand how the internet provides a channel to cultivate a relationship, but not facilitate love. I welcome other thoughts and opinions as I may be too cynical on this matter.

1 comment:

Becky, Sam, Merel, James, Adrienne, Asa said...

You´re too cynical :P. Whaha, no I do not understand how internet can cultivate a relationship but not facilitate love. Why can it do the one and not the other? First of all with all the gadgets that come with the internet, the only thing you cannot do is touch each other. You can still see each other or hear each other. But even if we do not include those aspects, why could you not be able to fall in love over the internet? Of course looks matter in some degree but you can go around that and then why would there be a difference between hearing people and seeing the text appearing on the sreen? I certainly believe that people can fall in love online. It just does not happen in 2 seconds.

By
Merel van Helden